Friday 24 July 2009

Horses and Motorbikes don't mix!

Had a bit of an incident on the way in yesterday morning by motorbike. I had been up to Tidworth and came back on the country roads, on my old Enfield Sunday route, out through Thruxton. Turned right just before the railway bridge and came upon a horse and rider heading my way.

The lady (she looked quite grey under her helmet so I assume she was fairly old) indicated that I should slow down (having just come of the junction and riding like an old woman as usual I was going no more than 20 anyway) so I actually stopped. It was a lovely road with houses down one side. Her horse took offense and decided to turn round and leave, she hung on OK but then tried to stop the horse, and she ended up on her back after going over it's head.

I turned the bike off, took my helmet off, and walked up the road to see if she was OK. She had got up and was busy putting the horses tackle back on (should it have come off?). I asked if she was OK, she said she will be. I asked if there was anything I could do, she said no. She said the horse was young and she was not sure what it would do. In the end she thanked me for stopping and walked the horse off in the original direction she was heading.

Looking back at it I was not speeding, and I stopped as soon as I saw her. The fact that the horse did not like me was not my fault, and the fact that she fell off was not my fault either. But, if I had not been there at all it would not have happened. So I apologise now for your horse chucking you off. As I said at the time, at least we were both wearing the right protective gear!

So much for using quiet country roads instead of the main roads to work....by the way, the horse in the pic is not the real one....

Today all it's doing is raining cat's and dog's, and I have the bike in again! Oh well....

No comments: